Thursday, April 24, 2014

Raised Garden Beds.

2014 Garden
Last year I started my own garden. I approached my husband with the idea and he made me promise that I would do it from start to finish. (lets just say I  may or may not finish all of my projects. :))

So I goggled everything that I thought I needed to know. 90 % of it was crap. Best advice I can give that is to find out what region/zone you're  in and plant accordingly.


2013 Garden
So when I got the time I went to home depot and started looking for wood to build my raised beds. Whoa, the stuff I wanted ranged from $13-$23 a 8 foot piece. Uh NO! I'm not made of money.

So I went to find someone who worker lumber, and low and behold, I ran across the discounted wood section! JACKPOT!! TWO 4X8 pieces for $2.15.
Granted some where slightly broken, bent, etc. But for what I was using them for, I really didn't care. And honestly they worked perfect. And in case you didn't know, Home depot will cut the wood for you.
Dirt: A lot of local folks recommended a brand called "Black Cow.(yellow bag)" And then just plain top soil to mix in. The black cow is $5 a bag, and store brand top soil is $1.50 a bag. 2013 total, $55, wood, dirt and seeds. Which was  well worth it, because I got my moneys worth. Oh and I just used wood screws to secure everything.

2103
Here's my first photo for 2013, I was so proud of myself. Besides a few cuts from the hubby I did it.


In the end I learn a lot! I actually had an amazing garden.
Cherry tomatoes, regular tomatoes, bell peppers, carrots, green beans, banana peppers, jalapenos, snap peas, Japanese eggplant, squash, and strawberries. And I only had 3 beds. I quickly figured out I needed more room, but, I was so far in, I had to do with what I had.


2013
2013
Onward to 2014 I decided to buy seedlings this year. We had a very strong winter, I wasn't able to let seeds grow in the sun much.
So I did spend a little more money this year compared to last year.
6 bags of black cow($30), 6 bags of top soil($9).
Wood was $10, I built 5 more beds onto what I had already.
Plants/seedlings $25.
Yes I spent a little more this year this year; one I didn't sow my own seeds, two I have more to fill!

2014 total $74.

3 different tomatoes, 2 snap peas, 4 edamame, 2 squash, 2 zucinnhi, 4 spinach, bell pepper, jalapeƱo, banana pepper, cucumbers, chives, small onions,  and strawberries! 

It's a great investment! And I have neighbors who are excited also because I always had enough other families too!!
So wrote this to encourage others to do it!!
It was really awesome to let my kiddos pick their dinner!!

If anyone has any questions, please ask!



2014



2014








No comments:

Post a Comment