Sunday, March 16, 2014

Grocery store and budget tips!

I dread doing both of these, with a passion, but we have to eat and we have to stay on budget! 

So, every 2 weeks I sit down and make a meal plan:
16 days worth of meals- dinner and sides, breakfast, lunch. 
I write down everything that's involved in the meal. 
Then I make my list, for food. 
Group by section 
Then I make my non-food list, ex: paper towels, laundry soap... Etc
Again group like items. 

One example of cutting costs: 
1 chicken breast feeds 2 people, cut in half and beat with a meat mallet. Not only are you cutting down serving size, it actually helps with cooking evenly. 

Ground meats products, they come square, place into a freezer bag, flatten out meat. This provides quick thaw and easy flat storage.

While you're placing stuff into freezer label what dinner it is. ( I do this for the hubby, less confusion for us when it comes to "what's for dinner."

Pre-making meals:
When I get home from the store I place all veggies/fruits in water with apple cider vinegar, allowing them to wash.( this way veggies are grab and go from fridge.) 
I usually precut veggies and fruit according to each meal and place in freezer with a label, again to avoid confusion. 
Meat:
I pre-wash and cut/separate each meal, season, pack in freezer bag and label. 

If you've gotten this far you probably think I'm crazy! Ha!! This whole process doesn't take that long, honestly! And think about all the time you're going to save at meal time, especially if you're not getting home till after 5,6,7,8...whatever time!? 
I can make almost any meal in 30 mins, start to finish! 

Granted there are something you just can't freeze. I usually make those meals first, then move on to my pre-prep freezer meals. 

I can say that since I started doing this I have cut our grocery bill way below half. Perfect example, Friday I bought 16dinner+ breakfast+ lunch for only $138.00. 

I don't over buy, I try to not let things hi go waste, and I never(not anymore), but frozen meals from the store. 

Well I hope this is helpful!! 




No comments:

Post a Comment